Thursday, November 10, 2011

Love the Space

I love space.
And I'm not talking about the space in which I live.
Well, I guess I sort of am.
Not my home space.
Although I DO love my home.
Ok, this isn't going the way I planned.

I love outer space!
I love planets and stars and comets and all the beauty and immense-ness
that comes with Space.



I have always been fascinated by it.
It's amazing to picture our beautiful little planet Earth
in the vast expanse of space.
It sometimes helps put things in perspective.

Colliding galaxies 70 million light-years away.

A few years ago, hubs had a work conference in Florida
and I got to tag along.
I was absolutely THRILLED to be able to visit
Cape Canaveral.
I was in awe, I never thought I'd ever get to go there in my life.
It just seemed out of reach.
Like Space, I suppose. ; )

Who knows, maybe in this lifetime, some of us WILL get to travel
way up there.
Amazing.

Hurricane Irene

Space Shuttle Discovery and the International Space Station

Setting crescent moon and the Earth's atmosphere

Aurora Australis or 'Southern lights' are seen in this photo captured by astronauts on the International Space Station with a digital camera while they passed over the Indian Ocean, September 17, 2011

Pics from Sympatico


Astronaut Bruce McCandless, ventured further away from the confines and safety of his ship than any previous astronaut had ever been. Made possible by a nitrogen jet propelled backpack.
quoted from here

Canada's contribution to Space!
Canadarm and Canadarm2 unloading cargo from space shuttle
Endeavour
from here

In University, I went to a lecture given by Canadian astronaut Dr. Roberta Bondar.
I was moved to tears seeing her photos and hearing her speak
about looking down at the beauty of our planet from space.


My daughter also loves space, she has posters of the planets on her bedroom wall.
My mom was looking after my girls for me when I was working,
and she would get a schedule of when the 
International Space Station was flying over our city.
In the early morning, they would go outside in the dark
and watch it fly over!
It looks like a bright star and would take maybe a minute to pass over us.

It was the coolest thing!
Try it out HERE.
Just choose your country and it will give you
a list of sighting opportunities.

We all have individual places we call home, but really,
we all share one home.
And it's beautiful.

4 comments:

Bravoe Runway said...

You would love the Adler Planetarium in Chicago! Definitely hope you can someday visit the windy city :)

Mimi said...

I remember when I was little going to the Planetarium in Melbourne I was in ore, I must take my children. Thank you for sharing. Mimi xx

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Sherri

Well you and I definitely have to get together now!

We are space nerds too (#snap sister!)

I need a trip to canada - we can both laze out at night in your back yard in deck chairs (in summer thanks!).
and space stare - can you imagine the problems of the world we would solve...

have a wonderful day


loulou, from hereiamloulou blog

x

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Sheri, I love it too. Always did as a child. It's truly amazing and I love to see you and daughters love for it as well.
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/